Favourite Song: The Adventure
Favourite Album: WDNTW
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Add me on ps4! Remixed23
More: http://
Reputation point: 30

Re: ToTheStars.media Discussion

by KayTheMagnificent on Mon Feb 06, 2017, 1:25pm

Start The Machine wrote:As long as I remember, strange times was a thing before Duffer & Doble wrote the script of Stranger things.. Also they can easily change the title from strange times to anything related like " The Ghost In The Girl "

Arenas519 wrote:Strange Times has been around since 2011

Yes but apart from some die hard Tom fans no one knows what Strange Times is, nor how long its been around. Stranger Things was fucking massive, people will have that misconception.

KayTheMagnificent

Name: Kay
Favorite Artists: Frank Turner, Say Anything, MCS
Favourite Album: Boxcar Racer
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music, gaming, drinking
More: https://soundcloud.com/kayleigh-emma-morgan
Reputation point: 55

by cliche333 on Mon Feb 06, 2017, 5:52pm

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
TheAdventure wrote:So Tom is slated to direct the Strange Times live action film. The movie will invlude new AVA music. What do you guys think of this? It's interesting to see Tom directing a full feayure film. I've only ever seen him direct music videos so far. Kari said they're finishing up the Poet short film. So I guess we'll see how he directs film soon enough! Also, I wonder if there's still a Poet full length film in the works, I know Tom was taking it sround to a lot of studios not too lo g ago. I wonder if the Strange Times animation is still in the works or not.

I just can't really imagine him being a good director, like at all. Plus I find the idea of Strange Times as a feature film to be... odd.

It'll probably get slammed for ripping off Stranger Things. suburban teens with aliens and conspiracy theories, similar name, its just too easy.

I actually had the same thought as soon as Stranger Things came out :(

And then Greg Grunberg comes out with a book called Dream Jumper that his buddy JJ Abrams is gonna produce.

Tom can't catch a break haha.
cliche333

Name: Cliche
Times you've seen AVA: 3
Reputation point: 0

by TheAdventure on Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:49pm

Hopefully it'll come across as a Star Wars and Star Trek kinda thing.

But when I watched Stranger Things last summer I kept thinking- "that's what Strange Times should be!"

I'm assuming that the POET short film looks pretty good, I'd assume Tom showed that to the studio in order to get the job as director. That's the only thing I can think of as to how he got it. He's definitely passionate and would probably do a good job visually, just not sure as to directing the actors yet. The Box Car Racer video he directed was sick though.

For the Chasing Shadows event... could you imagine if they had made short films to go with the EP... and unveiled them all as a 16 minute short film there at the event?! But it was not played with the recording but AVA playing LIVE. That'd be so sick... I know I'm just dreaming.

ToTheStars should do special in-store only releases during these types of events, kind of how Johnny Cupcakes would do events at his stores with releases. It would make a cool community for the brand.

Also, anyone have the Craft Guide that came with the Chasing Shadows book? I'd love to see it.

TheAdventure

Favorite Artists: Weezer, Green Day, Bon Iver, Killers, Jack Wh
Interests: art, skateboarding, ministry, pizza
More: http://www.iamsotare.com
Reputation point: 105

by cliche333 on Thu Feb 09, 2017, 3:04pm

TheAdventure wrote:
Also, anyone have the Craft Guide that came with the Chasing Shadows book? I'd love to see it.

The craft guide doesn't have any UFO stuff, only jets and stuff you can see any other place :/
cliche333

by TheAdventure on Sat Feb 11, 2017, 10:31am

Ah really? I was down at the Aviation museum in Virginia Beach a few weeks ago and they had some German WWII aircraft that looked like UFOs. Super cool. I was thinking they'd include stuff like that in the guidebook.

TheAdventure

by WhaIes on Thu Feb 16, 2017, 12:32pm

I realize we've covered this subject plenty, but it's really a shame to see how Poet was pushed to the back so soon after release. If they had toured for the album, advertised the book, and actually put as much into the brand as they could before moving onto some other book, they may have made a real name for themselves. It just seems like a waste. I still haven't finished reading Of Nightmares (I'll be honest, I don't think it's well written at all), but the concept behind Poet is pretty cool and they could have done more with it.

"Tell me secrets, 'cause I know you're scared."
WhaIes

Favorite Artists: Yellowcard, AvA, Owl City, Tyler Ward
Interests: Music, drawing, and good food.
More: punchingsharks.blogspot.com
Reputation point: 5

by plopbellie on Thu Feb 16, 2017, 2:27pm

I think poet by far though is still his most popular book based on the fans I see. I don't see as many people clamoring for a part 2 of sekret Machines or strange times as I do for poet. Plus all the tattoos and stuff people get.

plopbellie

Name: Stephen
Favourite Song: The Flight of Apollo
Favourite Album: Love Pt. 1
Interests: Music, Movies, the Internet
Reputation point: 188

by cliche333 on Thu Feb 16, 2017, 2:40pm

plopbellie wrote:I think poet by far though is still his most popular book based on the fans I see. I don't see as many people clamoring for a part 2 of sekret Machines or strange times as I do for poet. Plus all the tattoos and stuff people get.

I think this is true of AVA fans, but it seems like Sekret Machines had a bigger non-AVA audience, and perhaps even larger overall sales (and of course the audiobook, which could be a sign of this, and a contributing factor to it).
cliche333

by TheAdventure on Tue Feb 21, 2017, 10:02am

Yeah, maybe the should have done more with Poet before moving on to other franchises. I know Tom wants TTS to be like Marvel, with different franchises going on simultaneously, but that's a lot to get off the ground right away.

Do you think they'll do any more comic books in the future? Strange Times seems like it would lend itself to the comic book format easily. Lots of adventures could be had. It targets a young audience.

Have you guys seen Tom's latest Instagram posts about casting for Strange Times?

EDIT:
Wow this place has really died off... From March 2015 to February 20, 2016- we filled the first 77 pages of this thread. In the past year barely 11.

TheAdventure

by KayTheMagnificent on Tue Feb 21, 2017, 2:51pm

its because we're a lot less interested in TTS now that we've seen the quality of their products, I assume anyway. I couldnt get past the first chapter of Poet. Sekret Machines is probably more my ally but I don't want to pay money for it considering how piss poor poet was.

KayTheMagnificent

Name: Kay
Favorite Artists: Frank Turner, Say Anything, MCS
Favourite Album: Boxcar Racer
Interests: Music, gaming, drinking
More: https://soundcloud.com/kayleigh-emma-morgan
Reputation point: 55

by cliche333 on Tue Feb 21, 2017, 10:53pm

I actually love the books, and have read every one, and all comics, etc. It seems like a lot of people reading it expected it to be on par with Harry Potter, but the truth is most books are not written that well - most have quirks and flaws. I read a lot (~70 books a year), and Tom's books honestly rank among some of the best I've read in the past few years (with the exception of Strange Times, which wasn't horrible but not great).

But I have heard a lot of people complain about the writing style, so I get it :/
cliche333

by Start The Machine on Wed Feb 22, 2017, 1:05am

I'm kinda curious.. do u think that Strange Times movie will be a huge production movie or just like LOVE which is a low budget movie?
Start The Machine

Favourite Song: Heaven
Times you've seen AVA: 2

by cliche333 on Wed Feb 22, 2017, 2:14am

Start The Machine wrote:I'm kinda curious.. do u think that Strange Times movie will be a huge production movie or just like LOVE which is a low budget movie?

Hard to tell. The Cartel seems to produce crappy little projects which I picture Strange Times being... kind of unknown cheesy actors and what not.

Striker Entertainment on the other hand has some really good stuff to their name, but I don't know how involved they are in those projects (like Walking Dead).

I will be surprised if it makes it to theaters honestly, but hope it turns out good. Interesting that they chose the worst of Tom's books thus far to make the movie for. I guess it is probably the easiest to produce.

On another note, I'm very worried about Tom's writing with it... He posted that part of the script seeing the kid's dick bouncing around as he ran out of a house, but this is a book about 8th graders... I mean, dogs are one thing, but 8th graders?
cliche333

by Start The Machine on Wed Feb 22, 2017, 9:39am

cliche333 wrote:

I will be surprised if it makes it to theaters honestly, but hope it turns out good. Interesting that they chose the worst of Tom's books thus far to make the movie for. I guess it is probably the easiest to produce.

As long as I remember, Poet Anderson will get a huge movie with a HUGE budget may reach to $100m .. TTS will team up with RatPac Entertainment << According to Tom
Start The Machine

Favourite Song: Heaven
Times you've seen AVA: 2

by cliche333 on Wed Feb 22, 2017, 12:32pm

That would be a dream come true (ha, get it?). I love Poet. Tom set up a world with limitless potential, blending fantasy and sci-fi in a really cool way, so I would love to see what they did with a big budget.
cliche333

by ryan1125 on Sat Feb 25, 2017, 7:05pm

Anyone hitting up Tom's signing today? Let us know how it goes.
ryan1125

Name: Ryan
Favorite Artists: Muse, TOOL, Nirvana
Favourite Song: Wasting Time
Favourite Album: Cheshire Cat
Interests: Guitar, Halo 5 =)
Reputation point: 10

by TheAdventure on Wed Apr 12, 2017, 10:54am

Soo.... anything coming from TTS anytime soon (other than merch)?

Poet Short Film?

Sekret Machines Documentary?

Strange Times Feature Film updates?

Kinda feels like the momentum has really died off... or is that just me? I'm really interested in Sekret Machines, but I don't have time to read the books, but I'd watch the documentary or the TV series they talked about doing.

TheAdventure

by ryan1125 on Wed Apr 12, 2017, 12:09pm

It seriously blows my mind how much they've just turned into a shitty clothing store. The emails I get from them are "WE GOT YOUR SPRING CLOTHING COVERED!", "WE GOT YOUR ST. PATTYS SHIRTS COVERED!", "NEW JACKETS/SUNGLASSES!" like what in the fuck? And then AVA's Twitter will post "Pssst" with a link to a fucking blanket, that gets like 1 RT and a couple replies saying "where is new music?"...LOL.

It is a sad, sad time in AVA land. I'm actually reading GODS and it's very difficult to get through... :zzz:

But yeah, momentum definitely seems to be wearing off... so they basically just spam t-shirts (high profit margin) until Tom has another book or something to release.
ryan1125

Name: Ryan
Favorite Artists: Muse, TOOL, Nirvana
Favourite Song: Wasting Time
Favourite Album: Cheshire Cat
Interests: Guitar, Halo 5 =)
Reputation point: 10

by TheAdventure on Wed Apr 12, 2017, 11:03pm

Disappointing.

And those new AVA sunglasses... smh. The "band" makes more merch now than when they were actually together. Tom, just let AVA die peacefully.

TheAdventure

Return to Angels & Airwaves Discussion