new music coming this year according to Tom
Start The Machine

Favourite Song: Heaven
Times you've seen AVA: 2
More: http://
Reputation point: 0

Re: AVA General Discussion

by TheAdventure on Tue Feb 28, 2017, 11:01am

AarunFast wrote:Sup ya'll, it's been too long. The last few pages have made me really bummed seeing everyone else so bummed. I pretty much agree with everything; it's sad to see what AVA has become as Tom shifted his priorities, and I really miss the days when AVA was in full swing. Shit, I distinctly remember killing hours of time in college, breaking down 4 second demo clips from Modlife, arguing about politics and religion or if Tom was going bald. Miss those days. And sadly, I don't think AVA will ever come close to what it used to be. At least we have the old stuff to enjoy. And Bassfaces, if you're out there, I still disagree with you on whatever petty arguments we got into back in the day :lol:

Duudee! It's been a while!

Yeah man, AVA was almost the perfect band. Just like Atom said, it was almost the perfect situation.

And StartTheMachine... what music will this be? The WDNTW acoustic? The Cathedrals of Glass EP? Strange Times EP?

TheAdventure

Favorite Artists: Weezer, Green Day, Bon Iver, Killers, Jack Wh
Times you've seen AVA: 3
Interests: art, skateboarding, ministry, pizza
More: http://www.iamsotare.com
Reputation point: 105

by Start The Machine on Tue Feb 28, 2017, 1:31pm

TheAdventure wrote:
AarunFast wrote:

Duudee! It's been a while!

Yeah man, AVA was almost the perfect band. Just like Atom said, it was almost the perfect situation.

And StartTheMachine... what music will this be? The WDNTW acoustic? The Cathedrals of Glass EP? Strange Times EP?

I don't know actually, he said it during his instagram live on Saturday I guess.. but I think it will be the WDNTW acoustic album maybe
Start The Machine

by StephenCWJ on Tue Feb 28, 2017, 10:23pm

It's the soundtrack for one of his movies/documentaries. Not a proper album (or EP's, whatever the fuck he calls AVA material now). I wouldn't get your hopes up, same old.

StephenCWJ

Name: Stephen
Favourite Song: Rite of Spring
Favourite Album: I-Empire
Times you've seen AVA: 1
More: paintingrockets.bandcamp.com
Reputation point: 195

by fulcsibe on Wed Mar 08, 2017, 2:39am

Guys, this site is so saddening. I have been following these forums for quite a while now, never posted anything, but I always tried to be up to date with all the things related to Angels And Airwaves. But now I feel like I need to share my feelings...

In my opinion (I know, everyone has one), it's good that Blink-182 split up. I am sad, yes, but the fact that what they had going on was not sustainable because of whatever reason (blame no one, but probably Tom was the bitch there, still love him tho), they just couldn't work things out. They split, and moved on, the California record was okay, could have been way worse, but still it's more than nothing.

However, what Tom does is just weird to me. Don't get me wrong, but this whole UFO thing, is really crappy. I don't know much about it (not that I really care, though it might be interesting), but what I know for sure that there are people who know better than Tom and had been doing this for way longer than him.

He abandoned AVA, it's a dead band. Not that he is a good singer at all, but his music is just so catchy and full of life. There are no tours, no real albums. Everything that he released are gold to me. But without playing live, he is not a musician. Just a studio-something-perfomer(?).

I have not read any of his books - yet. But I just have a bad feeling, that they are not going to be good enough at all, but if yes, then it's just a satisfaction for a short time. Not books that are staying for multiple reads. Ya know, like books that have real value.

And if we talk about value, it's hard to not to mention To The Stars... Well, I have not bought anything from there, but what they offer for that price tag, I think I am better off saving my money. They look cool, and I want to believe that they offer quality merch, but it just doesn't look like that with all the different style/logos, and again, they are really expensive for me.

So overall, Tom is just doing stuff that is not related to his amazing talents, which is all music. I love his music, I listen to all of his stuff for years now, every week. I wish he would create more, and go for a tour. Even though he is a shitty singer. I would love to experience my favorite songs live with the people who feel the same.
But I guess at the end of the day it's all about what Tom likes to do. And that's all right I guess, us fans can't demand someone to do something they are not interested about. I am satisfied if Tom feels happy with whatever he is doing.

My only problem is that he makes empty promises every now and then to keep up the fading flames. So there's a reason I check out his website/Instagram/Twitter, hoping for some real news. But all I get is "big news coming up in X days", UFO crap. And it just feels so empty. He might be enjoying his "adventure", but please, he should not try to sell it to us by doing soundtracks.
I just listened to Chasing Shadows, and it's good music, but when I think about that it came with a book, it just feels like he did it so that we would be satisfied, and would buy his new crap. (Sorry for the harsh language.)

And he lies. A lot. About Blink, about new album releases, books, and the "big news". He does not fulfill his promises. So far, he is on a journey, but we are just at home, getting only postcards with a "hi", only knowing that he is alive.

Hope you guys followed me along, sorry for the long post, but I just needed to get this out. I am really sad that things are not going well for AVA. After all, this forum is to discuss experiences with the band, right? But if there's no band...

:(

Hope you guys have a good week!

fulcsibe

Name: Phil
Favorite Artists: Green Day, System of a Down, Relient K
Favourite Song: Love Like Rockets
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music, Guitar, Songwriting, Singing

by JayCartay on Wed Mar 08, 2017, 10:35am

I never post, just come here to see if there's been any news now and then, already knowing there won't have been! I'm right there with you on just about everything you've said.

Tom's a different person now, with different priorities. I can't help but feel To The Stars is doomed to fail long term. The merch is crap. It only ever appealed to me because it was AVA stuff and I love (loved?) AVA.

I'm happy for Tom that he got to do something he wanted to do and co-write some books. We'd all love to be able to just go out and fulfill the dreams we have but as fans of the music we've been left behind. You can't ask a person to stop being who they are and chasing their dreams just because it doesn't fit with what you want, so I wish Tom well. But we have to accept that AVA is now just a promotional tool for him and not a priority, which is sad. Things have changed and they are never going back. :(
JayCartay

Name: Jay
Favourite Song: Star of Bethlehem
Favourite Album: Love Part 2
Times you've seen AVA: 10

by tyler182 on Thu Mar 09, 2017, 11:45pm

I visited California for the first time last month and stopped by the To The Stars shop in Encinitas. I ended up picking up a copy of the Sekret Machines: Chasing Shadows book and I actually really like it. Even if you don't buy into it being based on real events, it's super entertaining.

P.S. anyone see that clip Tom posted on instagram of Matt a couple hours ago? Whether or not anything comes of this, it made me happy seeing them together again.

I never wanted to coast, always wanted to be an anomaly.

Sig by Elevator

tyler182

Name: Tyler
Reputation point: 236

by Start The Machine on Fri Mar 10, 2017, 4:20am

tyler182 wrote:
P.S. anyone see that clip Tom posted on instagram of Matt a couple hours ago? Whether or not anything comes of this, it made me happy seeing them together again.

Since Tom is unpredictable person there are two possibilities..

1- They're just hanging out together and that's it.. also we had pic a year ago featuring Tom, DK & Matt .. So nothing serious.

2- Maybe they're doing some new music together ( like Tom said before ) or Matt is helping Tom to finish the WDNTW acoustic album.. Or they're planning something for I-empire anniversary?

I'll go with the second possibility cause I need a dose of hope right now in my life :P
Start The Machine

by oclilblinkfan182n on Fri Mar 10, 2017, 1:08pm

It has been a while hasn't it. Angels & Airwaves is a one-man band now days. Still, I always admired the timeliness of the band. I saw Blink at the Marcus Amphitheater last Summer, in Milwaukee. I knew it wasn't going to be the same old-school Blink, but I attended anyways. Of course I had fun, and it was a fantastic show. Though, I couldn't help but wear a to the star’s shirt. This only makes sense since, Skiba wore a Cubs hat. Oh the irony. Haha.

What I don't get is why Tom preaches about killin cash, while he seems to excessively advertise for his merch? He also seems quite melodramatic at times with his political rants. Early Angels will always ameliorate an atmosphere, through their transcendent sound and lyricism. However, I respect that Tom is pursuing his passion most. Who defines infinity anyways?
oclilblinkfan182n

Name: Nolan Culver
Favourite Song: Call to arms
Favourite Album: WDNTW or I-empire
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Music
Reputation point: 5

by re5nonpoint on Mon Mar 13, 2017, 6:16pm

First time poster, long time lurker. It's really depressing to see what Angels and Airwaves has become. It's crazy to think several years ago, the band was active and everyone on here was excited for new music. Now, AvA has become a desolate hole that I don't think will ever return to its former self. It's sad. I miss the good old days. WDNTW and I Empire were amazing albums. Those were their best. The rest sunk downhill. In my opinion, it started on the Love album. The sound sounded way too similar, the riffs IE Dry your eyes. That song sounded too much like Everything's magic. ugh. I don't know, I had a weird taste in my mouth every since 2009 and I had a bad feeling about their music. And I was right. I just wish the band had a running into the sun set finale. Instead, we have Tom Delonge one band man phishing for his """"art"""". I don't think we will ever get tours, at the rate this is all heading. Sad!

Anyway, thanks for reading this. I guess this is goodbye to AvA, at least for me. I'll always have those first two albums in my heart.
re5nonpoint

Name: kevin
Favourite Song: Guess I'm Doing Fine
Favourite Album: Sea Change
Interests: music

by Tyler44 on Thu Mar 16, 2017, 9:51am

I just wish he'd officially label Angels & Airwaves dead and release all his future music under "Tom DeLonge." At this point, his own name has more selling value than Angels & Airwaves.

It really hasn't been a band since 2011. I know there were a few shows in 2012, but I consider LOVE I the last true AVA album for me. Dream Walker was okay, but without touring it and basically all the hype around it dying after its release, I always forget that album happened.
Tyler44

Name: Not Tyler
Favourite Song: Handwritten
Favourite Album: Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem
Reputation point: 160

by avablink182 on Sat Mar 18, 2017, 9:06pm

https://youtu.be/5pQSs86AE4o

Heard all of these except for the one at 2 min mark. Does anyone know what that one is or where it went or came from!?
avablink182

Name: steve
Favourite Song: any ava song
Favourite Album: AVA/Blink
Interests: hockey,golf,music,lacrosse
More: modlife.com/avablink1820
Reputation point: 5

by juniper007 on Sat Mar 18, 2017, 10:41pm

Those Surrender Demos sound awesome, kinda prefer them to the actual song
Funny thing about demos is I've noticed most people prefer them to the actual songs, especially with TDW
juniper007

Name: George Odlum
Favorite Artists: All Time Low, Green Day, Neck Deep, Paramore
Favourite Song: The Adventure
Favourite Album: LOVE
Interests: Transport

by StephenCWJ on Sun Mar 19, 2017, 8:55pm

juniper007 wrote:Those Surrender Demos sound awesome, kinda prefer them to the actual song
Funny thing about demos is I've noticed most people prefer them to the actual songs, especially with TDW

I don't know about that, when he uploaded the Bullets in the Wind/Rock the Radio demo to Instagram there was a lot of backlash about it. So much that he deleted the video almost a few days after. He made such a big deal about changing up his style and trying to stop going back to the go-to lyrics and melodies, then we heard some really banging demos (that pretty much ended up being the final versions, apart from The Wolfpack, which ended up for the better), but then he put up Rock the Radio demo.. I still shudder at that chorus.

In terms of LOVE, all we really heard demo-wise that was remotely different was Surrender.

StephenCWJ

Name: Stephen
Favourite Song: Rite of Spring
More: paintingrockets.bandcamp.com
Reputation point: 195

by juniper007 on Sun Mar 19, 2017, 10:58pm

Fair play! Most of the comments I see about a lot of AVA Demos are mostly "sounds better than the actual song" or some comment about how awesome it is haha

Never saw that Instagram post myself to be honest!
juniper007

Name: George Odlum
Favorite Artists: All Time Low, Green Day, Neck Deep, Paramore
Interests: Transport

by TheAdventure on Fri Mar 24, 2017, 10:51am

I would've listened to the Rock, Rock, the Radio song. It would've been basically another predictable LOVE style song, probably not one of my favorites, but I'd listen to it. It's way better that they changed it though.

TheAdventure

Favorite Artists: Weezer, Green Day, Bon Iver, Killers, Jack Wh
Interests: art, skateboarding, ministry, pizza
More: http://www.iamsotare.com
Reputation point: 105

by cliche333 on Fri Mar 24, 2017, 5:26pm

TheAdventure wrote:I would've listened to the Rock, Rock, the Radio song. It would've been basically another predictable LOVE style song, probably not one of my favorites, but I'd listen to it. It's way better that they changed it though.

I liked the original demo better, but I know I'm one of the only people who thinks this way. I feel like Ilan took the band in a non-melodic direction. The music was different and more technical sure, but the original had that "lullabies on steroids" feel that made me fall in love with AVA.
cliche333

Name: Cliche

by bass_face5309 on Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:13pm

AarunFast wrote:Sup ya'll, it's been too long. The last few pages have made me really bummed seeing everyone else so bummed. I pretty much agree with everything; it's sad to see what AVA has become as Tom shifted his priorities, and I really miss the days when AVA was in full swing. Shit, I distinctly remember killing hours of time in college, breaking down 4 second demo clips from Modlife, arguing about politics and religion or if Tom was going bald. Miss those days. And sadly, I don't think AVA will ever come close to what it used to be. At least we have the old stuff to enjoy. And Bassfaces, if you're out there, I still disagree with you on whatever petty arguments we got into back in the day :lol:

Haha kinda crazy that you mentioned me. For some reason i thought I should check this place out again and your post was one of the 1st things I see!

I really miss the old crew we had here all those years ago around the Love release (can you believe it's been over 7 years!). You, Spaceman, Skalor, and everyone else I'm not mentioning. It's just crazy that it's been so long.

bass_face5309

Name: Ben
Favourite Song: Come Downstairs and Say Hello - Guster
Favourite Album: Lost and Gone Forever - Guster
Interests: Music
More: http://modlife.com/bassface5309
Reputation point: 10

by Durendal on Tue Mar 28, 2017, 8:37pm

re5nonpoint wrote:WDNTW and I Empire were amazing albums. Those were their best. The rest sunk downhill.

I agree that LOVE II was pretty terrible and The Dream Walker felt a little out of place, but I think that Chasing Shadows was some of Tom's best AVA songs. I'm looking forward to the next EP. I believe that Tom is starting to really mature as a musician, and experimenting with Ilan and The Dream Walker probably had a role in that progression. It's a shame this comes at a time where he will probably be least musically prolific.

Durendal

Reputation point: 20

by Tyler44 on Wed Mar 29, 2017, 2:33pm

bass_face5309 wrote:

Haha kinda crazy that you mentioned me. For some reason i thought I should check this place out again and your post was one of the 1st things I see!

I really miss the old crew we had here all those years ago around the Love release (can you believe it's been over 7 years!). You, Spaceman, Skalor, and everyone else I'm not mentioning. It's just crazy that it's been so long.

WOW what a blast from the past haha, the LOVE release was right when I joined here and it was certainly a hell of a time. I remember if you didn't login in for 3 hours you'd miss pages on pages of new threads.

Hope all is well!
Tyler44

Name: Not Tyler
Favourite Song: Handwritten
Favourite Album: Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem
Reputation point: 160

Return to Angels & Airwaves Discussion