TheAVAMovement turns 6!

Updates about what's going on with the website.

TheAVAMovement turns 6!

by AirwavesRunner on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 10:02am

It's that time of year again, yes it is.

Another year has passed since the official launch of this website. Each year as September comes around I begin to think of this place a little more. I've been typing this post up in my head over the last week or so and combing through posts for any kind of significant news.

Sadly that has been the story of this last year: very little content from the band. We have known a new movie and album have been in the works for quite some time now, and really the only news announced by the band has been that there would be a release on Halloween. There haven't been any leaks, modcams, or teasers yet and I know it is driving everyone mad.

It was mentioned by someone in one of the 5 threads that have been active in the last few months that maybe Tom and the band is finally getting it right and truly letting the music and art speak for itself this time. Maybe that will make the wait and absence of updates worth it. As a fan base, we can only hope that might be the case. This does bring me to a very big point that I want everyone to understand.

The band has changed.

This is not the "super group" coming out of the wake of a mega band breakup putting out what might be their last relevant album to the world. This is a group that has said "forget what others say, we want to make art." I think it's important to note that during that transition of band identity there are going to be some serious growing pains. This is not the same band from, yes it has been this long, 2006.

It is 2014 and the band dynamic has shifted largely from being a Tom and the gang project to Tom and Ilan. I completely expect this new album to be the most strange and different album to come from this band yet. As much as we all would like to hear a WDNTW2, it's just really hard to make an apple pie the same way 8 years later when you take out most of the apples, replace them with bananas, and use a new oven with a new chef. It's not to say that the new pie won't taste delicious; It's just that we as fans shouldn't be sitting here expecting that sound to come back.

As we enter what should be an exciting time for the band as new information has to be passed on, I want to encourage everyone to have an open mind and contribute to strong discussion of this new album and or movie. There's hope for a tour to follow in the coming months and I will STRONGLY encourage meet ups of fans to be organized. Head to a pub beforehand, have a brew over discussion of the new album and head into the concert to really take the experience in.

As for me personally, I have graduated from my university and am now working full force in the beautiful city of Washington D.C. The big city life is completely different from my old life in the rolling hills of Kentucky. Beer is no longer 75 cents a bottle,I have to pay money to park my car, the locals haven't got a clue what real barbecue is, and rent went from $250 for a 3 bedroom house for myself to $1000 for a small room with 3 others in an apartment. It's a completely new life, but I wouldn't trade this adventure for anything.

If any of you are visiting the area, let me know and I'd be happy to take you to one of my favorite pubs and if you ask really really really nicely I might know how to get you into the Capitol building for a pretty awesome tour without the crowds.

In closing I want to again thank everyone here for all they do. From Matty who had the vision and drive to build this place, to the mods who clean things up, to all of the users who are the backbone of the site, I want to say thank you. Truly thank you for your contribution to the movement. This site has been and still is very much home to me. Much like real life now, I don't get to go home very often, but when I get the chance to take it in I am reminded how special this place is to me.

Here's to 6 more years at TheAVAMovement,

Adam

AirwavesRunner
AirwavesRunner

Name: Adam
Favourite Song: Jude Law & a Semester Abroad
Favourite Album: We Don't Need to Whisper
Times you've seen AVA: 2
Interests: Fate is what you make of it
Reputation point: 80

Re: TheAVAMovement turns 6!

by blackbird on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 11:00am

Hello Adam,

I don't agree with you in 2 things:

1. Leaks: We haven't listened to a full song or part of a completed song yet but I do not remember we ever listened to so many teasers of their recording process. I was never a Modlife subscriber (too expensive for me) and maybe I'm wrong on this one.

2. In 2006, Angels And Airwaves was not Tom and the gang project. It was Tom project. David was never that influential in the recording process. Neither Ryan. Tom wrote almost every bass line on We Don't Need to Whisper. Atom recorded the drums but with so much influence of Mr. Delonge ideas.

On I-Empire Tom let the other members have a word but it only really started to be the Tom and the gang project on the Love albums.

Now, for the first time in AVA history Tom is letting a member of the band drive it's destiny under his guidance as record producer. Everything will have the approval of Tom. Obviously we'll hear Tom playing guitar and singing on every song but we have to be prepared for a different sound.

I just hope like you said the fans will support the band in this new era.

And Matt, I wish you the best in your new life. We can't be kids forever :/ ;)

Happy Birthday The AVA Movement! :)
blackbird

Name: Miguel
Times you've seen AVA: 0
More: http://
Reputation point: -10

by AirwavesRunner on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 11:56am

blackbird wrote:Hello Adam,

1. Leaks: We haven't listened to a full song or part of a completed song yet but I do not remember we ever listened to so many teasers of their recording process. I was never a Modlife subscriber (too expensive for me) and maybe I'm wrong on this one.

2. In 2006, Angels And Airwaves was not Tom and the gang project. It was Tom project. David was never that influential in the recording process. Neither Ryan. Tom wrote almost every bass line on We Don't Need to Whisper. Atom recorded the drums but with so much influence of Mr. Delonge ideas.

On I-Empire Tom let the other members have a word but it only really started to be the Tom and the gang project on the Love albums.

Now, for the first time in AVA history Tom is letting a member of the band drive it's destiny under his guidance as record producer. Everything will have the approval of Tom. Obviously we'll hear Tom playing guitar and singing on every song but we have to be prepared for a different sound.

You're free to your opinion.

1. Half the WDNTW songs were leaked months before release, as were half of i-empire's songs. We had most of epic holiday, parts of young london, Moon Atomic, surrender, and Some Origins for LOVE. I really don't know how you can conclude that there are more leaks now based on that, but ok.

2. When I stated Tom and the gang I meant that it was Tom's project with the rest just supporting, maybe that wasn't clear in my wording.

But i don't want this to devolve into debate over the album. This is just my yearly reminder that we are still around and continue to grow in different ways as a community and website.

AirwavesRunner
AirwavesRunner

by AarunFast on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 12:02pm

Happy birthday AVA movement! I can't believe it was 6 years ago that I was a little freshman in college, talking smack with the original members here. Shout out to Charissa, Skalor, Singshittyband182, Giammy, seanamin, Justin Allen, drummer AVA, Adam, Atronomy, Joe-Davies, Eric Gleeson, the Tyers, samir, Ike Productions, Bass Faces, Heaven on Planet Earth, Forbes, Hines and anyone else I forgot. In comparison to other forums, this place is generally respectful and has some interesting conversations and that's why I've stuck it out here. Here's to another 6 years!

AarunFast

Name: Aaron
Favorite Artists: Drake
Favourite Song: Re: Stacks - Bon Iver
Favourite Album: WDNTW
Reputation point: 92

by AirwavesRunner on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 12:14pm

AarunFast wrote:Happy birthday AVA movement! I can't believe it was 6 years ago that I was a little freshman in college, talking smack with the original members here. Shout out to Charissa, Skalor, Singshittyband182, Giammy, seanamin, Justin Allen, drummer AVA, Adam, Atronomy, Joe-Davies, Eric Gleeson, the Tyers, samir, Ike Productions, Bass Faces, Heaven on Planet Earth, Forbes, Hines and anyone else I forgot. In comparison to other forums, this place is generally respectful and has some interesting conversations and that's why I've stuck it out here. Here's to another 6 years!

Seanamin, Joe, Astronomy, Eric, and Singshittyband. Man I haven't seen much from those three in ages. Hope they're all doing alright.

I forget how many regulars have stopped being so regular. It just made me think, what if someone passes away? How will we know? That's a pretty sad thought.

AirwavesRunner
AirwavesRunner

by Skalor on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 12:30pm

Great post, happy birthday you string of zeros and ones which form this place for us to share our thoughts and opinions about a strange band.

I guess that since i've actually forgotten the birthday of this website shows how much of my interest has been lost in AVA. But how many things in our lives truly last forever?

Regarding the upcoming album. I'm really happy that we've not heard anything, and nothing has leaked. I think it makes for a more enjoyable listen. However, the way it has been released will mean nothing to us unless we actually enjoy the music. If it wasn't for Ilan having such a big role on this album, and for Tom admitting his mistakes, I think I might have already written AVA off. But thankfully some good changes have happened this time, so I have hope.

Adam, very nice of you to invite us to visit you in Washington DC. One day, whenever that might be, I'd like to take you up on that offer. If you ever came to London, England, I would do the same for you (sorry can't give you special access to Queeny's palace though) and I'm sure AVAOwen would join. :)

Thank you everyone who visits the AVA Movement.

AirwavesRunner wrote:Seanamin

I just met him the other week. He is doing very well, as legendary as he was on the forum, if not more. I remember him saying he feels similarly to what I expressed about Tom admitting his mistakes and excited about Ilan's input. His wife is very lovely too.

Follow The AVA Movement for news updates!
Facebook: facebook.com/theavamovement
Instagram: instagram.com/theavamovement
Twitter: twitter.com/theavamovement
Skalor
Administrator
Administrator

Name: Matty
Favorite Artists: M83, Tycho, Arcade Fire, Jon Hopkins
Favourite Song: The Gift (Live), Open Eye Signal (Jon Hopkins)
Favourite Album: WDNTW, Reflektor, Dive, Immunity
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Graphic Design, Music, Philosophy
Reputation point: 210

by blackbird on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 1:21pm

AirwavesRunner wrote:
blackbird wrote:Hello Adam,

You're free to your opinion.

1. Half the WDNTW songs were leaked months before release, as were half of i-empire's songs. We had most of epic holiday, parts of young london, Moon Atomic, surrender, and Some Origins for LOVE. I really don't know how you can conclude that there are more leaks now based on that, but ok.

2. When I stated Tom and the gang I meant that it was Tom's project with the rest just supporting, maybe that wasn't clear in my wording.

But i don't want this to devolve into debate over the album. This is just my yearly reminder that we are still around and continue to grow in different ways as a community and website.

Adam, maybe I should have not used the word Leaks on the first point. I know what happened the other times. I was just trying to say that in my opinion the band themselves showed us more parts of different songs (even it's small clips) this time. And I'm sorry, as english is not my main language maybe I did not understand what did you mean about Tom and the gang. I don't want this to devolve into debate over the album too.

I just wish the best for Angels And Airwaves, The AVA Movement and it's community.
blackbird

Name: Miguel
Reputation point: -10

by Giammy on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 1:33pm

6 years already! That's a long time, it's cool how different we all are compared to when we first started following this band. Yet here we are.
I've always been a huge fan of this place. I remember when Matty (Skalor) messaged me once on MSN saying he liked all my AVA videos on Youtube and wanted me to be part of this. That's how it all started for me. Crazy to think that was 6 years ago! Still doing my best to keep Facebook and Instagram going, I hope you guys enjoy the posts!
This place and the people in it have been part of my life, no doubt about that. Whenever I wanted to talk about this band, I know this was the place. I hope everyone who is not around anymore is doing great: Charissa, StockholmSarah, Heaven on Planet Earth, Eric, Forbes, Kyle and many others. Good to hear about Sean Matty! It's great you guys met. I remember his avatar from The Office, classic! Ahah. Wasn't he from NZ? Is he living in the UK now?
I'd love to meet some of you guys. The only one I met from here was Samir, great dude! Whenever I know I'm going to London or even the USA for like 10 days I'll make sure to make a thread here first.
I hope the new album is amazing and more people will come to stay just like the good old days.

Follow The AVA Movement for AVA and To The Stars updates!
Giammy

Name: Gianmarco
Favorite Artists: AVA, Muse, Alkaline Trio, Sum 41...
Favourite Song: A Little's Enough
Interests: Civil engineering, UAP research, music
More: http://instagram.com/gianmarcopetrucci
Reputation point: 135

by TheEpicAdventure on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 2:08pm

I've only been part of the community for just over a year, but I've been lucky enough to enjoy some good discussions here. I feel like this place must have been more active in the past, but it's nice and calm now and a good place to chill and discuss AVA. I'd like for the site to be more active after the new album drops, but that's probably not going to happen.

I hope to stay around here for a long time as this is a really great place full of interesting people. I haven't spoken to a lot of you, but to the ones I have: thank you! Shoutout to Giammy, Skalor and AirwavesRunner (and anyone else I missed!) :)
TheEpicAdventure

Name: Lewis
Favourite Song: Diary
Favourite Album: WDNTW
Reputation point: 35

by Astronomy on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 2:58pm

Hey all, what a great post this is.
I agree that none of the leaks actually spoil anything. It's safe to say it will not damage the release significantly.
Most of the comments I agree with in some sense and it's great to see some of you talk like this again. It gives me a smile.
It's very strange to see that some of you actually remember me. It's great in a sense.
This place, 6 years ago, turned into an actual movement. We developed a connection from all over the world, because of one band. Not only a connection, but we became brothers in a way.
I remember talks about music, philosophy, aliens, conspiracies, religion, all kinds of abstract things, even personal experiences or feelings. This place changed me. Thoughts from all over the world sometimes still swirl in my head and therefor will always have a place in me.
I can't really put a finger on the value this forum had for my teenage years, but it sure was a great value, it formed me, it changed my opinions, it ruled out some negativity and whenever I was going through a tough period, which sadly, I had a lot of, I would come here, read about all kinds of things and even about those personal experiences. There was always a soothing word, from people I had never even looked in the eye. It was amazing and still is. We all grew up, we all changed, we all have our lives now, but I will never forget this.
I'd like to give a big thanks to Matt, who after all these years, never failed to pay for this place, and all the original members who have a place in my heart. Thank you all for being who you are and for making this place one of the first real groups to be a part of, regardless of who we are, that I have experienced.
Some of you may remember that I've been working on a record since the beginning of this place and we are now only a few pieces from some songs away from finishing all recordings, and we'll move onto the mixing process.
As a token of gratitude, I certainly will give you all a free download of this massive project I've been working on and you have probably heard me nag about more than once.

This place is and will forever be magic, whether it will exist or not.
Also, I always seem to put my life still being active largely on music, which got me through some of the shittiest bits of my life, and unfortunately, I had a really rough teenage period, which consisted of not living at home from 14/17 and a lot of abuse and such. I think the truth is that AVA wouldn't have been the same without this forum, my musical taste sure would have been different, but I also owe my life to you guys, as some of you have truly helped me to see some positive things, which might have refrained me from leaving this existence.
Included is a recent picture of myself, I hope to see some of you guys too, and one of the songs from the EP, which is already mixed, but unmastered.

I hope to see some of you guys respond further, you are all great!
Thank you so much for your existence and all of your motivation to make this place what it is. I love you all more than I probably realize!
Here's one of the songs of our yet to be released record that I've worked on since WDNTW
http://free.mp3songurls.com/1389648.mp3

Take care, I will certainly be here for the new release! :D :alien:

Astronomy

Name: Soufian
Favourite Song: Tool - Right In Two
Favourite Album: 10.000 Days
Times you've seen AVA: 3
Interests: Skateboarding, music, recording, science
Reputation point: 30

by Skalor on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 9:23pm

Astronomy wrote:I can't really put a finger on the value this forum had for my teenage years, but it sure was a great value, it formed me, it changed my opinions, it ruled out some negativity and whenever I was going through a tough period, which sadly, I had a lot of, I would come here, read about all kinds of things and even about those personal experiences. There was always a soothing word, from people I had never even looked in the eye. It was amazing and still is. We all grew up, we all changed, we all have our lives now, but I will never forget this.

Touching post Soufian. It's all such a distant memory now, it's crazy to believe what we actually built. Trolls came and left but for many years there was such a positive energy from the majority of members. Makes you wonder how many hundreds people took something beneficial out of the community we made. I know this place helped me improve so many skills, being able to express myself properly was a big one. What would we have done if AVA or the site didn't exist?

GiammyAVA wrote:Still doing my best to keep Facebook and Instagram going, I hope you guys enjoy the posts!

Really appreciate you doing this, and I haven't said it enough. Big thanks. If you need access to anything else or want to set something up always feel free to ask.

GiammyAVA wrote:Wasn't he from NZ? Is he living in the UK now?

He still lives in NZ, he just came to visit Europe for work, making it into a little holiday aswell. He didn't get chance to visit Italy, but I'm sure he would have contacted you if he did!

TheEpicAdventure wrote:I'd like for the site to be more active after the new album drops, but that's probably not going to happen.

I think this solely comes down to how good the fans think the new album is. If this blows everyone away I think this place could almost regenerate back to how active it used to be. If the album is a massive flop I think activity could drop to zero.

Follow The AVA Movement for news updates!
Skalor
Administrator
Administrator

Name: Matty
Favorite Artists: M83, Tycho, Arcade Fire, Jon Hopkins
Favourite Song: The Gift (Live), Open Eye Signal (Jon Hopkins)
Favourite Album: WDNTW, Reflektor, Dive, Immunity
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Graphic Design, Music, Philosophy
Reputation point: 210

by tyler182 on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 9:35pm

Skalor wrote:If the album is a massive flop I think activity could drop to zero.

Not to worry Skalorlord, I'll always be here...even if I'm talking to myself.

I never wanted to coast, always wanted to be an anomaly.

Sig by Elevator

tyler182

Name: Tyler
Times you've seen AVA: 1
Reputation point: 236

by HeavenOnPlanetEarth on Sun Sep 21, 2014, 9:51pm

I believe the site will be more active after the release as always to discuss the ideas of the new album, the next tour (if there will be one anytime afterwards) and any new fans of AVA who will come after hearing them. And glad that this site is still active after 10 years of AVA (h) :alien:

HeavenOnPlanetEarth

Reputation point: 50

by felipecardel on Mon Sep 22, 2014, 12:53am

This site has been active for longer than I've been a respectable member of society.

I just joined last month, but I see myself connecting with everybody else in the upcoming months - people here are more imaginative and open-minded than elsewhere, and it really makes me feel at home.

AVA entered my life back in May and has become a huge part of it ever since; I've been through a rough, short relationship that ended two days before I first heard the smooth radio-transmitted dialogue on "Valkyrie Missile". I don't hold that specific song to a higher standard - my favorite is "Love Like Rockets". But the opening bassline, and the overall feeling of rebirth I get from that song became sort of a turning point in my life at the moment. AVA turned me into someone who complains less about life and just takes it for what it is, working with what it gives me.

Some guy at the end of "Inertia" says that "you gotta remember the good things, cherish the memories and go on with life, cause it doesn't stop". It really doesn't, but sometimes you get stuck and can't move on. This band has really helped me move on from what happened two days before I first heard that magical bassline on their very first song (chronologically).

Eh, didn't mean for this post to become my diary. Well, here's to the new album (which I'm sure I'll love, whether it changes things for the band or not) and for another six years of the movement. Cheers! :D

spread hope like fire - spread love like violence
felipecardel

Name: Felipe
Favorite Artists: Jimmy Eat World
Favourite Song: Love Like Rockets
Favourite Album: I-Empire
Reputation point: 25

by StephenCWJ on Mon Sep 22, 2014, 4:37pm

tyler182 wrote:
Skalor wrote:If the album is a massive flop I think activity could drop to zero.

Not to worry Skalorlord, I'll always be here...even if I'm talking to myself.

It's fine, we'll turn this into the Pineapple Movement and start a new generation of pineapples!

StephenCWJ

Name: Stephen
Favourite Song: Rite of Spring
Favourite Album: I-Empire
More: paintingrockets.bandcamp.com
Reputation point: 195

by AirwavesRunner on Mon Sep 22, 2014, 7:36pm

Astronomy wrote:Hey all, what a great post this is.
I agree that none of the leaks actually spoil anything. It's safe to say it will not damage the release significantly.
Most of the comments I agree with in some sense and it's great to see some of you talk like this again. It gives me a smile.
It's very strange to see that some of you actually remember me. It's great in a sense.
This place, 6 years ago, turned into an actual movement. We developed a connection from all over the world, because of one band. Not only a connection, but we became brothers in a way.
I remember talks about music, philosophy, aliens, conspiracies, religion, all kinds of abstract things, even personal experiences or feelings. This place changed me. Thoughts from all over the world sometimes still swirl in my head and therefor will always have a place in me.
I can't really put a finger on the value this forum had for my teenage years, but it sure was a great value, it formed me, it changed my opinions, it ruled out some negativity and whenever I was going through a tough period, which sadly, I had a lot of, I would come here, read about all kinds of things and even about those personal experiences. There was always a soothing word, from people I had never even looked in the eye. It was amazing and still is. We all grew up, we all changed, we all have our lives now, but I will never forget this.
I'd like to give a big thanks to Matt, who after all these years, never failed to pay for this place, and all the original members who have a place in my heart. Thank you all for being who you are and for making this place one of the first real groups to be a part of, regardless of who we are, that I have experienced.
Some of you may remember that I've been working on a record since the beginning of this place and we are now only a few pieces from some songs away from finishing all recordings, and we'll move onto the mixing process.
As a token of gratitude, I certainly will give you all a free download of this massive project I've been working on and you have probably heard me nag about more than once.

This place is and will forever be magic, whether it will exist or not.
Also, I always seem to put my life still being active largely on music, which got me through some of the shittiest bits of my life, and unfortunately, I had a really rough teenage period, which consisted of not living at home from 14/17 and a lot of abuse and such. I think the truth is that AVA wouldn't have been the same without this forum, my musical taste sure would have been different, but I also owe my life to you guys, as some of you have truly helped me to see some positive things, which might have refrained me from leaving this existence.
Included is a recent picture of myself, I hope to see some of you guys too, and one of the songs from the EP, which is already mixed, but unmastered.

I hope to see some of you guys respond further, you are all great!
Thank you so much for your existence and all of your motivation to make this place what it is. I love you all more than I probably realize!
Here's one of the songs of our yet to be released record that I've worked on since WDNTW
http://free.mp3songurls.com/1389648.mp3

Take care, I will certainly be here for the new release! :D :alien:

Missed the heck out of you around here Soufian. Crazy to think your music has been building across such a long period of time relative to our lives. Sounds like all is well and I wish you the very best with your release. The song sounds awesome!

I think we all have taken something away from this place, and unknowingly given back even more. That's the magic here.

AirwavesRunner
AirwavesRunner

by tyler182 on Mon Sep 22, 2014, 8:09pm

StephenCWJ wrote:It's fine, we'll turn this into the Pineapple Movement and start a new generation of pineapples!

All you have to do is replant the top.

I never wanted to coast, always wanted to be an anomaly.

Sig by Elevator

tyler182

Name: Tyler
Reputation point: 236

Return to AVA Movement Announcements