AVA Movement Changes

Updates about what's going on with the website.

AVA Movement Changes

by Skalor on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:04am

It's amazing what can miss when you're unable to look at this forum for a few days. Looks like it's that time a year again when things need to be set straight.

First we want to say a big thank you to everyone who has posted on this forum. Because of you guys AVA.com now directs fans to this forum and are interested in collaborating in the future. However, for this collaboration to happen AVA need to trust us, and that's not going to happen when there's a immature and hostile environment.

So to make sure we keep the forum on track, one thing we'll need to do is refresh the moderator line up as many members have rightly pointed out.

So here's the mod changes:
Aarunfast - New moderator on trial
notnow123487 - New moderator on trial
Joe-Davies – Demoted due to inactivity
Choco_bear – Demoted due to inactivity
Seanamin - No longer a secret moderator
I-Ryan182 - No longer a secret moderator
Sean and Ryan were the only secret mods and we won't bring this group back.

There were a combination of reasons we had secret moderators. Ryan was originally a moderator in the past but became fairly inactive and couldn't commit. Rather then demote him completely I thought it wouldn't hurt to have some back up doing odd jobs. Seanamin was also highly respected but didn't want the pressure of a moderator status.

Disappointingly Ryan only fueled the fire with tyler182 in recent incidents and didn't wait for me to respond. Also publicly sharing our private staff discussions/surprises without consulting us was also sad to see. To dispel any concern over future incidents we won't use secret mods again.

I've made the decision to ban tyler182. Update: See here for more details. Tyler has been given another chance, in future the forum will be consulted with a poll before banning members, it was wrong of me to make the decision alone.

Other things I'm going to implement to improve the forum include a minimum post count to make threads, new backgrounds and an updated navigation. Please let us know any suggestions you have and I'll add this to the list!

So many people care about this place because there's always been opportunity for sharing, laughing and really taking something from posting here. Lets keep this as a place where new fans want to join and contribute, riding the wave of this new album is going to rock! :D

.
Image

Follow The AVA Movement for news updates!
Facebook: facebook.com/theavamovement
Instagram: instagram.com/theavamovement
Twitter: twitter.com/theavamovement
User avatar
Skalor
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7674
Location: England
Name: Matty
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Favorite Artists: M83, Tycho, Arcade Fire, Jon Hopkins
Favourite Song: The Gift (Live), Open Eye Signal (Jon Hopkins)
Favourite Album: WDNTW, Reflektor, Dive, Immunity
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Graphic Design, Music, Philosophy
Reputation point: 210


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by plopbellie on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:23am

With tyler182 gone, there definitely is going to be a big hole in the community. Everyone knew who he was. Several people here had spoke up about how they were glad he wasn't banned the first time. The people who didn't want to post because of him seriously needed to get a mental check because in all reality, he was just a guy on a computer like the rest of us. He had no mod powers, and apparently the worst he could do was post gifs. Everyone here has a right to post what they want (when its on topic, or not just taking up space on the new post page) but at the same time a lot of what tyler182 was complaining about were genuine concerns about the board and its lack of moderating. I don't know, i just feel like this place is different already with him gone, because now everything is going to be boring. He really brought life to this forum, and without him, after this album and stuff is all over with (or hell until it even actually comes out) this place might as well be dead. :/ I'd say 50% of the posts here are responses to something he has posted. But ah well. Every forum needs its resident asshole.

Image
User avatar
plopbellie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2514
Name: Stephen
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: The Flight of Apollo
Favourite Album: Love Pt. 1
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music, Movies, the Internet
Reputation point: 188


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by Alroth on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:27am

You have done a good job Skalor, keep up the good work :D

Image
Alroth
Member
Member
 
Posts: 132
Name: Alex
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Smith Street Band
Favourite Album: Smith Street Band
Times you've seen AVA: 2
Interests: Smith Street Band
Reputation point: -5


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by Skalor on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:29am

plopbellie wrote:The people who didn't want to post because of him seriously needed to get a mental check because in all reality, he was just a guy on a computer like the rest of us. He had no mod powers, and apparently the worst he could do was post gifs.

What's with this 'computer' argument. So it's perfectly acceptable for me to attack you personally if it's over the internet?

.
Image

Follow The AVA Movement for news updates!
Facebook: facebook.com/theavamovement
Instagram: instagram.com/theavamovement
Twitter: twitter.com/theavamovement
User avatar
Skalor
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7674
Location: England
Name: Matty
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Favorite Artists: M83, Tycho, Arcade Fire, Jon Hopkins
Favourite Song: The Gift (Live), Open Eye Signal (Jon Hopkins)
Favourite Album: WDNTW, Reflektor, Dive, Immunity
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Graphic Design, Music, Philosophy
Reputation point: 210


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by NotNow on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:29am

Hey I'm on trial. Thanks, Skalor! I'd suggest making the minimum post count. That's the typical requirement for a lot of forums. Now that Skalor's back, let's see how high this site can fly.

Edit: I'll admit there were a couple times I felt uncomfortable recently presenting a controversial argument because of how tyler might respond. It never bothered me, but I thought twice here and there. So I can see how it's bothersome for new members, whereas I knew the guy. Especially when we're now directed to by AVA.
User avatar
NotNow
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2408
Location: Washington, D.C.
Name: Brendan
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Rollecoaster - Bleachers
Favourite Album: Everything Will Be Alright In The End
Times you've seen AVA: 0
More: http://
Reputation point: 172


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by Skalor on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:30am

notnow123487 wrote:Hey I'm on trial. I'd suggest making the minimum post count. That's the typical requirement for a lot of forums. Now that Skalor's back, let's see how high this site can fly.

Working on it. Just need to figure out how to implement!

.
Image

Follow The AVA Movement for news updates!
Facebook: facebook.com/theavamovement
Instagram: instagram.com/theavamovement
Twitter: twitter.com/theavamovement
User avatar
Skalor
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7674
Location: England
Name: Matty
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Favorite Artists: M83, Tycho, Arcade Fire, Jon Hopkins
Favourite Song: The Gift (Live), Open Eye Signal (Jon Hopkins)
Favourite Album: WDNTW, Reflektor, Dive, Immunity
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Graphic Design, Music, Philosophy
Reputation point: 210


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by plopbellie on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:32am

Skalor wrote:What's with this 'computer' argument. So it's perfectly acceptable for me to attack you personally if it's over the internet?


Huh? I'm one of the people who honestly don't believe in cyber bullying. Nothing on the internet should be taken personal. If someone finds something they take personally, they should either ignore it, or blame themselves for acknowledging it. In the end, there is always a way to avoid arguments on the internet; just dont pay attention to them.

If you think i'm attacking anyone with these last two posts, i'm not.

This kind of seems like victim blaming though. The typical argument against cyber bullying is just ignore the bully, but sometimes people can really only do so much as to not let it get to them.

Image
User avatar
plopbellie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2514
Name: Stephen
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: The Flight of Apollo
Favourite Album: Love Pt. 1
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music, Movies, the Internet
Reputation point: 188


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by Skalor on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:39am

plopbellie wrote:
Skalor wrote:What's with this 'computer' argument. So it's perfectly acceptable for me to attack you personally if it's over the internet?


Huh? I'm one of the people who honestly don't believe in cyber bullying. Nothing on the internet should be taken personal. If someone finds something they take personally, they should either ignore it, or blame themselves for acknowledging it. In the end, there is always a way to avoid arguments on the internet; just dont pay attention to them.

If you think i'm attacking anyone with these last two posts, i'm not.


I was referring to tyler attacking people personally, not yourself. And yes I think ignoring is the first option. But when he's going out of his way to be general dick to half the people he speaks to, you can't really ignore it anymore.

I would rather the forum be inactive then have people put up with his posts.

.
Image

Follow The AVA Movement for news updates!
Facebook: facebook.com/theavamovement
Instagram: instagram.com/theavamovement
Twitter: twitter.com/theavamovement
User avatar
Skalor
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 7674
Location: England
Name: Matty
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Favorite Artists: M83, Tycho, Arcade Fire, Jon Hopkins
Favourite Song: The Gift (Live), Open Eye Signal (Jon Hopkins)
Favourite Album: WDNTW, Reflektor, Dive, Immunity
Times you've seen AVA: 4
Interests: Graphic Design, Music, Philosophy
Reputation point: 210


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by NotNow on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:44am

Thanks for the opportunity Skalor. I look forward to trying to improve the community for everyone.
User avatar
NotNow
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2408
Location: Washington, D.C.
Name: Brendan
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Rollecoaster - Bleachers
Favourite Album: Everything Will Be Alright In The End
Times you've seen AVA: 0
More: http://
Reputation point: 172


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by plopbellie on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:44am

Skalor wrote:But when he's going out of his way to be general dick to half the people he speaks to, you can't really ignore it anymore.


I can see what you mean. We here will still miss what he brought to the table though. Although, im very excited to see where this official AVA collaboration will bring us.

Also, to TheLong if you're reading this, when you posted that thread with the video in it and the '...' as the placeholder, for some reason, for the last few months, tyler182 had been unable to video videos embedded with the youtube tag. So to him, it probably looked like you made a thread with just '...' in it. It seems the whole argument came from a misunderstanding he never explained.

Image
User avatar
plopbellie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2514
Name: Stephen
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: The Flight of Apollo
Favourite Album: Love Pt. 1
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music, Movies, the Internet
Reputation point: 188


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by NotNow on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:48am

plopbellie wrote:
Skalor wrote:But when he's going out of his way to be general dick to half the people he speaks to, you can't really ignore it anymore.


I can see what you mean. We here will still miss what he brought to the table though. Although, im very excited to see where this official AVA collaboration will bring us.



Yea I get your argument with regards to cyber bullying to just ignore the bully because it's a common one; but at its core, it's still victim blaming. Sometimes people can only do so much to ignore someone before it personally gets to them. Especially if they're going out of their way to do it.
User avatar
NotNow
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2408
Location: Washington, D.C.
Name: Brendan
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Rollecoaster - Bleachers
Favourite Album: Everything Will Be Alright In The End
Times you've seen AVA: 0
More: http://
Reputation point: 172


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by fricktasticful on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:48am

I really don't think you should have banned Tyler. I get that he can be a dick sometimes, but he doesn't make pointless threads, and he's not hostile in the "causing legitimate emotional harm" sense. He's a complete smartass and has definitely upset people, but we given his history with the forum, this seems a bit rash, don't you think?

Having said all that, I really like the new mod choices. Plop, Stephen, and I would probably have been bad choices since we're kind of "no bullshit", so at least you picked people with the most constructive posts.

Let's talk about the hardcore that ain't hard anymore


Image
User avatar
fricktasticful
Member
Member
 
Posts: 937
Name: Taylor
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Look What Happened
Favourite Album: Hello Rockview
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music
More: http://
Reputation point: 122


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by Alroth on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:48am

And plus consistent meme/gif posting was just getting old. Not to mention that stupid signature he had.

Image
Alroth
Member
Member
 
Posts: 132
Name: Alex
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Smith Street Band
Favourite Album: Smith Street Band
Times you've seen AVA: 2
Interests: Smith Street Band
Reputation point: -5


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by plopbellie on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:49am

fricktasticful wrote:Plop, Stephen, and I would probably have been bad choices since we're kind of "no bullshit", so at least you picked people with the most constructive posts.


But i hope we were close seconds ;) I pore everything into this forum lol

Alroth wrote:And plus consistent meme/gif posting was just getting old. Not to mention that stupid signature he had.


Yeah, i could've been without that. It was funny.... last month. But it was tyler... so yeah.

Image
User avatar
plopbellie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2514
Name: Stephen
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: The Flight of Apollo
Favourite Album: Love Pt. 1
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music, Movies, the Internet
Reputation point: 188


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by fricktasticful on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 12:54am

plopbellie wrote:
fricktasticful wrote:Plop, Stephen, and I would probably have been bad choices since we're kind of "no bullshit", so at least you picked people with the most constructive posts.


But i hope we were close seconds ;) I pore everything into this forum lol


Haha I get you, but i personally have no desire to be in a moderator position -- I was a section leader for a couple years in marching band (in high school) and I totally let it go to my head and alienated a lot of people. The more "average member" I am, the better.

Let's talk about the hardcore that ain't hard anymore


Image
User avatar
fricktasticful
Member
Member
 
Posts: 937
Name: Taylor
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Look What Happened
Favourite Album: Hello Rockview
Times you've seen AVA: 0
Interests: Music
More: http://
Reputation point: 122


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by AVASTEVEN135 on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 1:02am

I think it was a good decision to ban Tyler, other than his regular "fan boys" who would get a hard on everytime he posted something I think everyone else was getting quite annoyed, to the point where people would think twice before posting something. It was funny at first, but even having him argue with Skalor on that one thread was just dumb. I'm looking forward to the future of this forum. I've been hear quite awhile, made posts when I felt like it and it's going to be an exciting time for the band and forum =)

Image
Credit goes to KayTheMagnificent! =)
AVASTEVEN135
Member
Member
 
Posts: 1936
Name: Steven
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: There is
Favourite Album: WDNTW
Times you've seen AVA: 5
Interests: AvA, hiking, videos, Music , football, sports
More: http://
Reputation point: 170


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by I-Ryan182 on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 1:04am

Glad to see Aarunfast and notnow make mod status. Two very good dudes!

Image
User avatar
I-Ryan182
Member
Member
 
Posts: 1213
Location: San Diego, CA
Name: Ryan
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Mercenaries
Favourite Album: I-Empire
Times you've seen AVA: 5
Reputation point: 20


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by TheLong on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 2:40am

I agree that tyler182 had to be banned. He had opportunities to redeem himself and to make an apology to all the members with whom he had a problem but he never tried to change his attitude. Too bad. This forum is not just the internet, it's our home. When I'm here, when you're here, we don't need to remember this is the internet. This is something bigger.
TheLong
Member
Member
 
Posts: 320
Times you've seen AVA: 3
Reputation point: 35


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by Alroth on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 4:45am

TheLong wrote: This forum is not just the internet, it's our home. When I'm here, when you're here, we don't need to remember this is the internet. This is something bigger.



Alright man, calm down.

Image
Alroth
Member
Member
 
Posts: 132
Name: Alex
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Smith Street Band
Favourite Album: Smith Street Band
Times you've seen AVA: 2
Interests: Smith Street Band
Reputation point: -5


Re: AVA Movement Changes

by leamnmel on Tue Oct 21, 2014, 4:57am

This seems very cool :) I was never aware of secret mods to be honest! And I thought Tyler182 was actually ok (sometimes) just a little to honest maybe?
Anyway can't wait to see it updated

Image[/quote]
leamnmel
Member
Member
 
Posts: 686
Name: Leam
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Favourite Song: Heaven
Favourite Album: AVA-WDNTW, JEW-SELF TITLED
Times you've seen AVA: 1
More: www.facebook.com/leftofsummer @weareleft @leam182
Reputation point: -60


Return to AVA Movement Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest