Board Updates

Updates about what's going on with the website.

Board Updates

by NotNow on Wed Nov 11, 2015, 3:39pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be performing updates on the boards over the next couple days. It's been a long while since we've gotten everything up to date so I am going to attempt to work on that either tonight or tomorrow. There will be a couple cool things added hopefully that are long overdue. Just wanted to give you a heads up now, if there's something weird happening with the forum or the forum goes down(unlikely), this is why. Once I'm finished, I'll write an update post with any and all new features added to the site depending on what I can and cannot get working.

I've looked into entirely overhauling the forums from phpbb to a more professional looking forum suite, but that seems to be a very arduous task and maybe an impossible task to convert the databases to be compatible with a new suite. That would mean potentially losing all posts and account info, so I'm not going to do that unless I can figure out a way to implement our databases. So for now I've decided to just update what we have, and I'll continue to look into completely overhauling this place.

Thanks,
Brendan
NotNow

Name: Brendan
Favourite Song: Rollecoaster - Bleachers
Favourite Album: Everything Will Be Alright In The End
Times you've seen AVA: 0
More: http://
Reputation point: 172

Re: Board Updates

by plopbellie on Wed Nov 11, 2015, 3:47pm

Noice.

plopbellie

Name: Stephen
Favourite Song: The Flight of Apollo
Favourite Album: Love Pt. 1
Interests: Music, Movies, the Internet
Reputation point: 188

by StephenCWJ on Thu Nov 12, 2015, 12:29am

Honestly, I think half the charm of this forum is the way it's laid out and how it looks. If you were to change it to look more like every other forum, it might take that charm away. I don't think it's worth the hassle of looking to it.

It definitely needs something to bring more users in though. Perhaps a To The Stars and blink-182 discussion section where separate threads can be made, instead of limiting users to one general thread in the 'other music artists' and 'angels & airwaves discussion' sections.

StephenCWJ

Name: Stephen
Favourite Song: Rite of Spring
Favourite Album: I-Empire
Times you've seen AVA: 1
More: paintingrockets.bandcamp.com
Reputation point: 195

by NotNow on Thu Nov 12, 2015, 9:58pm

StephenCWJ wrote:Honestly, I think half the charm of this forum is the way it's laid out and how it looks. If you were to change it to look more like every other forum, it might take that charm away. I don't think it's worth the hassle of looking to it.

It definitely needs something to bring more users in though. Perhaps a To The Stars and blink-182 discussion section where separate threads can be made, instead of limiting users to one general thread in the 'other music artists' and 'angels & airwaves discussion' sections.

We are creating new sections, and updating phpbb won't change the look. Only if we switched to a new provider. I don't really see the charm with phpbb though, it's the most widely used forum suite so it definitely doesn't look unique.
NotNow

by NotNow on Thu Nov 19, 2015, 11:50am

Update: sorry I haven't gotten to this. I tried last week and thought I could do it without the domain login credentials, but it turns out I can't so I have to wait for Matty.
NotNow

by NotNow on Wed Jun 29, 2016, 1:51am

Update: Mattys given Giammy and me administrative privileges to make changes to the site so I'm back to trying to do updates to make this place look more up to date mainly by getting us a mobile theme. I just tried to start that process by updating to the latest version of phpbb. I thought it would be a routine update but ran into an error that halted the update. I did it without notice this time because I thought it would take like thirty minutes to do, and it would be done with; so I just quit playing with it after an hour so the forum wouldn't be down for long. So I just wanted to let you all know I may try to play with it throughout the week because we need this update to basically change anything and that's why the forum will be down. I'll give you notice now though if I try to update again as I may need to work on it for more than an hour. I'll make sure I giive at least a few hours notice and will try to do it at night in the US.
NotNow

Return to AVA Movement Announcements